Fisch und Wirbellosenforum

The Red Sox got their 2019 season underway

in Beckenvorstellung 28.05.2019 04:14
von zhangzk • 158 Beiträge

His start was awful http://www.giantsfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey , but the velocity is not the reason to be worried."and the quest to become the first repeat champions since the turn of the century....well, it didn’t go so great. The good thing about baseball is that they play every day and they’ll have 161 chances to get this bad taste out of everyone’s mouths. It always feels more important because it’s the first game, but at the end of the day it was just one bad game. That’s not to say it wasn’t frustrating, of course, because it was. The offense had some good moments but really should have opened up a bigger lead over those first two innings. Both Rafael Devers and Eduardo picked up where they left off last year in the field. The bullpen looked mostly like how we expected it to, which is obviously not a compliment. Whether or not these things will continue to carry on through the season is a conversation, but whether or not it was fun to watch is pretty clear.Of course, above all of those other issues the one that stood out the most was definitely the performance from staff ace Chris Sale. Fresh off his big extension, all eyes were on the southpaw after his 2018 ended on a downward note marred by injuries and inconsistency on the mound. This outing did not put anyone’s mind at ease. In the end, Sale tossed just three innings and allowed seven runs on six hits (three of which were home runs), two Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images, a hit batter and four strikeouts. It was up there with the worst performances we’ve seen from Sale. When you combine these results with the concerns heading into the year, you can understand the uneasiness around the fanbase following this outing. While it’s generally not wise to react too strongly to anything after one outing, it’s at least understandable where people are coming from. The aforementioned shoulder injury has been on everyone’s mind all winter, as even despite Sale’s career-long durability that can always end in the blink of an eye with any pitcher. There were also concerns about how he’d pitch without Sandy Le贸n behind the plate as well as the normal (not to say fair) concerns about how any player will perform after signing a big contract. Again, it’s not fair to really ruminate on any of these concerns after one bad outing, but these were in the minds of fans before the start and this opener did not ease anyone’s feelings.Above all else, the main concern people seem to having is with Sale’s velocity. On Thursday Willie Mays Jersey , the southpaw was averaging just under 93 mph with his fastball, compared to an average velocity of just under 96 mph in 2018. That’s a big difference! It’s also not a huge reason for concern after this outing.If you’ll recall, this is the exact conversation we had at this point last year. Granted, Sale was outstanding at the start of 2018, but that was for reasons we’ll get to in a minute. Since Alex Cora has become the manager of the Red Sox, rest has been a staple of this team. Cora has insisted on easing his players — and particularly his pitchers — into the season. At the start of this past offseason, he said he would be even more extreme this season given the heavy workload from last October. All of that makes plenty of sense! I mentioned that Sale averaged just under 96 mph with his fastball last season, but that was largely because he was throwing 97-98 in the middle months of the year. In April of 2018, there were the same concerns we have today about his velocity. Now, to be fair his velocity on Thursday was lower than it was last April, but only by 0.6 mph. That’s hardly a major difference. As Dana LeVangie said after Thursday’s game, Sale is no different than last year.Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY SportsNow, just because the velocity isn’t super concerning at this point doesn’t mean there’s nothing to point to here. In that same linked quote from the pitching coach about Sale’s velocity he mentions very real mechanical issues. Specifically, LeVangie says Sale was opening up his front too early which led to command issues. If you watched the game, you surely noticed the command issues as well. Sale was missing his spots left and right — something Jessica Mendoza pointed out in the booth in the first inning — and too often those spots were being missed up in the zone. This is where the lack of velocity came into play, because if he was up in the 96-98 range, those misses wouldn’t have looked so bad. If you are missing in those zones with 91-93, however, major-league hitters will destroy it. That’s exactly what happened.Moving forward http://www.giantsfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey , I know I will certainly be watching Sale’s starts a little more closely over the next couple of weeks. Not that I wasn’t watching closely before but, well, you know what I’m saying. The command, the mechanical issues that led to the command being off, are what I’ll be watching for. Sure, the velocity is not ideal, but this is how they are approaching Sale right now in trying to get him to last through the entire season. If he’s still throwing in the 91-93 range once May rolls around, then there will be real concern. For right now, though, the focus should be on Sale commanding all of his pitches and then we can move from there. The first FanPulse results are in, and represent a mixed bag."WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Diamondbacks Farm TeamsGameday ThreadsDiamondbacks NewsDiamondbacks Game ReportsFang FoodSB Nation FanPulseSB Nation FanPulse: D-backs fans are... uncertainNew,17commentsThe first FanPulse results are in, and represent a mixed bag. EDTShareTweetShareShareSB Nation FanPulse: D-backs fans are... uncertainPhoto by Sean Gallup/NewsmakersWelcome to SB Nation FanPulse, a survey of fans across MLB. Each week, we send 30 polls to plugged in fans from each team. Diamondbacks fans, sign up HERE to join FanPulse.This is the good news. Fans appear generally happy with the job Torey Lovullo is doing as team manager, giving him a vote of confidence by more than a 4-1 margin. This makes sense: he is the winningest manager in franchise history, his current .540 W% edging out even World Series winning manager, Bob Brenly Barry Bonds Jersey , albeit by less than a handful of points (Brenly sits at .536). Whether that will be retained by the end of this season is rather in doubt, with about two-thirds of fans seeing a losing record in the team’s immediate future. However, the general consensus appears to be that any looming darkness is not Lovullo’s fault, more a combination of ownership, the front office and Steven Souza’s cleats...Are you confident in the direction of the team: 50% YesDespite support for Lovullo, there’s much less certainty about whether the team is going in the right direction. In fact, there was an exactly even split here. I can understand both points of view, and am more than a little uncertain myself. The team seems to be trying to steer a route that involves rebuilding the farm system while staying competitive. This is considerably harder than it is to write. Only four NL teams (Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers and Nationals) have managed winning records in each of the last three seasons, as the D-backs start their quest for the first such three-peat in franchise history since 2003. I suspect whatever the team’s direction is. will be considerably clearer, come the end of the season.Will your team win the World Series: 100% NoMy unsurprised face is in the best pre-season shape of its life. No real surprise here, considering the team were 50/1 long-shots at the sports books - and that’s before Souza was lost for the season. Though I’m a little surprised there was complete unanimity on the topic. I mean, 16% of people believe in Bigfoot. That’s 16% more than believe the D-backs will win the World Series this year. But there’s something to be said for going into a season with little if any expectations. It’s considerably chiller, and far more likely to be a pleasant surprise than a disappointment! Don’t forget, it’s not to late to sign up and be a part of future FanPulses...

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: MamiNini
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 1303 Themen und 2183 Beiträge.